title="Parish Council">

Local Directory  »  BARTONS VICTORY MEMORIAL HALL & PLAYING FIELDS

Search:
     
List by Category:
List All:

«  Go back to previous page...

SHOWING RESULTS:
BARTONS VICTORY MEMORIAL HALL & PLAYING FIELDS BARTONS VICTORY MEMORIAL HALL & PLAYING FIELDS
   

 

Middle Barton Memorial Hall and Playing Fields Charity – History
 
The present area - ‘The Victory War Memorial Hall Playing Fields’ in Worton Road, Middle Barton - was secured in 1948 as part of a Trust established to provide sporting and social facilities for the communities of the Steeple and Westcote Barton Parishes. The Clubhouse, bars, function room and changing facilities were constructed by villagers and members of the Football and Sports and Social Clubs in the mid to late 1970’s.  A purpose built Clubhouse for use by members of the Bowls Club was added in 1993.
 
It is true to say that the great majority of the manpower, equipment and materials for these projects was provided by local labour, with the project costs being funded by local benefactors with either low or interest free loans and donations, and fund raising by members. 
 
There are three Trustees and a Management Committee. Under the Constitution, other than the officers, membership of the Committee can be made up from organisations representing ‘interests’ in the parishes. The Committee meets at least four times a year or more frequently should circumstances demand.
 
The Trust is registered with the Charity Commissioners.
 
A Social Club is also based at Worton Road, and has a membership of some 400. The Club’s rooms are home to a number of smaller clubs including: darts, dominoes and crib, aunt sally and Country and Western.  The facilities are also used to host wedding receptions, dinner dances, children’s parties, senior citizens events, village meetings and so on.
 
There is a children’s Play Area (5-8 age group), constructed in 1990, which has been maintained and partly developed since.   The planned introduction of the children’s play facilities for 8-13 year olds was completed in September 2011, when a completely new play park was opened by Mr Tony Reed, Chairman of the War Memorial Committee.
 
Funding bids were submitted to the Government sponsored Playbuilder scheme and an award of £47000 made in mid 2010. Further funding was agreed with Steeple Barton Parish Council and the park construction was carried out by ‘Trevor Stewart Play Equipment’.  The play park has become a highly popular meeting place for children and parents alike, and the ‘after school’ gatherings on Friday afternoon/evenings have become part of the village social calendar.
 
In September 2013, after a year of fundraising to cover the investment of £75000, the new ball courts were opened by Trustee and President of the Playing Fields Charity, Robin Fleming.
 
There are two court areas; - a tennis and netball court and a multi-use court for 5-aside football, basketball and other court games/coaching and sports development.
 
There were three principal sponsors: The Sport England Inspired Facilities Fund, Viridor Landfill Credits and West Oxfordshire District Council. Further donations were received from: Steeple Barton Parish Council, The Bartons Memorial Playing Fields Charity, The Wills Trust and The Schuster Foundation.
 
A youth shelter was erected in November 2005, funded by Steeple Barton Parish Council.
 
A weekly litter collection rota has been in place for over 7 years.
 
During the summer months, the Playing Fields is frequently host to the May day pre-school fete, an area 6-aside football competition, a travelling fair, as well as various fetes and youth events including: mini triathlon.
 
Through the ‘Sportivate’ scheme FREE coaching lessons will be held at the Club starting with ‘Street Dance’ on November 5th at 4:30.
 
There is car parking on the Worton road site for c100 vehicles.
 
Membership
 
Annual subscriptions for membership of the Sports and Social Club are payable from 1st October, as follows: Adult: £10, Senior: £4, Junior (13-17): £2.
 
Membership of the Sports Clubs is as follows: Bowls: £15, Football: £10.
 
Tennis court hire is £4 for members and £6 for non members per hour.
 
The courts are available for hire by groups/clubs for £10/hour and bookings should be made at the Clubhouse.: 01869 347597
 
Contacts 
 
Chairman of the Playing Fields Committee – Tony Reed: 01869 347713, Email: tony.reed72@yahoo.co.uk
Secretary of the Playing Fields Committee – John Bews 01608 644436, Email: jrbews@yahoo.co.uk
Chairman of the Sports and Social Club – Allan Stewart: 01869 347291
Manager of Middle Barton FC - Kevin Denley: 01869 340898 Email: kjdenley002@aol.com
Chairman of the Bowls Club – Tony Fowler: 01869 340877. Email: a.fowler670@btinternet.com
Organiser of Ladies Netball – Siobhan Ferris: 01869 349878 Email: siobhanferris@rocketmail.com
Clubhouse: 01869 347597
 
 
Middle Barton Football Club – History
 
The Football Club was founded in 1928. 
 
The Football Club has played in a variety of leagues over the last 80 years, including: The Oxfordshire Senior, Lord Jersey, Witney and District, and in the Hellenic from 1999 to 2007
.
Through this period the Club has featured regularly in the honours tables of its’ respective Leagues and League competitions.
 
The Football Club is affiliated to the Oxfordshire Football Association and first became a member of the Hellenic League in the 1999/2000 season, where it remained for some six seasons fielding two Saturday sides together with a Sunday team in the Banbury League.
 
The senior Saturday team currently plays in the Witney and District League. .
 
Both senior and junior clubs were awarded ‘FA Charter Standard‘ status from the early part of the decade.  The standard was maintained during the Hellenic League period.
 
 
Middle Barton Tennis Club – History
 
The Tennis Club was established at around the same time as the Bowls Club in 1953. The Club was represented in the Banbury and District Tennis League until 1995.   At its peak, membership stood at 35, one third of which were juniors. The present playing surface was laid in 1981, replacing that with which the Club had commenced almost 30 years before.  A new tennis court was opened in September 2013.
 
 
Middle Barton Bowls Club – History
 
The Bowls Club was also founded in 1928, but games in the early years were played on the Lawn at the Old Rectory in Westcote Barton.
 
The Bowls Club played their first match on the new green established at the Worton Road site in 1953. A Bowls Club pavilion was constructed in 1993. The brick-built Clubhouse was made by Club members with the aid of generous donations and substantial fundraising. A watering system was installed four years later, the work again being carried out by members. Fundraising and donations provided the money to purchase materials and equipment, with no public monies being sought.
 
The ‘Green’ is at present ‘starred’ meaning it is eligible for use in County competitions and matches. Throughout the summer season, matches are played two to three times a week against local clubs, whilst the green is open to members daily. There is a full range of Club Competitions which run through the summer season.  During the winter season ‘Short Mat’ bowls is played in the Clubhouse.
 
The Club won the West Oxon League in the 2011/12 season and were runners-up in 2012/13.
 
The present membership numbers 35 with both men and women players.
 
 
Middle Barton Netball Club – History
 
This is a new venture which started in August 2013 and which was made possible by the availability of the new netball court. At present training sessions are held on Monday evenings from 6pm, but these may move to Sunday mornings in the Autumn. There is an extremely enthusiastic group of players of all ages  
 
 
Objectives of the Clubs
 
  • To encourage the development of all (outdoor and indoor) sports, including the games of football, bowls and tennis, in the Bartons, through the provision of high quality, playing, changing and social facilities in a manner which is consistent with the developing and changing needs of the villages.
  • To continue to improve the quality of playing and social facilities at the Worton Road Playing Fields and Sports and Social club through selective (self and externally funded) development.
  • To provide a progressive and forward thinking playing, coaching and training environment which encourages all, not just young players, to continue to develop their playing and team skills.
  • To seek to maintain a high standard of play to ensure that all teams are exposed to an appropriately competitive levels in their respective sports.
  • To provide a centrally based and focused sports and social facility which complements and supports the local community and its school.
 
AGM

AGM’s for the Playing Fields Charity are normally held in February or March at the Sports and Social Club and details are posted on the village notice boards.  The meetings receive reports from the Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary, approve the accounts and the election of a new committee.

Organisations not represented on the retiring committee, which wish to nominate a member for their respective organisation, should send details of their nominations (Names, addresses, email and telephone numbers) to the Secretary in advance.
 
Organisations represented on the Committee in the last year were: Sports and Social Club, Bowls Club, Football Club, Friday Afternoon Club, Jubilee Club (seniors) and Steeple Barton Parish Council.
Address:

The Bartons Victory Memorial Playing Fields, Worton Road, Middle Barton. OX7 7EE 

Please send all correspondence to: Allan Stewart, Chairman, 24 South Street, Middle Barton, Chipping Norton. OX7 7BU

  Telephone
  Email
  Link